- Held during summer session I, mid-May to mid-June.
- Students can register for just this session, or stay for session II as well.
- Each course is worth 3 credits and students will complete 6 credits per term.
- All students will enroll in GNUR 5500 or PHS 5500-Comparative Healthcare Systems along with a Spanish language course from the summer courses offerings list.
- Includes visits to local health care facilities.
- Spanish Prerequisites: Completed at least 2010-Intermediate Spanish or the equivalent.
Global Health Course Offering
GNUR 5500 or PHS 5500-Comparative Health Care Systems (taught in English)
This course will examine the structure of health care systems in different countries, focusing on financing, reimbursement and delivery systems. Social, ethical, cultural and political issues that affect the delivery of health care services are critically analyzed. We will also examine Spain's approach to healthcare, ranked 7th in the world, through visits to local health organizations and health care sites.
SPAN 2020-Advanced Intermediate Spanish Medical
Designed for studnets interested in the healthcare professions, this course is desigend to give a strong foundation in the structure of Spanish, reading comprehension, and oral fluency while incorporating medical terminology.
SPAN 3050-Spanish for Medical Professionals
This course is designed for students planning to work in the health care field and who want to develop fundamental written and oral skills and vocabulary for the assessment of Spanish speaking patients in a variety of settings. Students will gain familiarity with non-technical and semi-technical functional vocabulary, along with idiomatic expressions and situational phrases that are used in medical Spanish. Medical language skills and cultural competency for health care situations will be developed as well as a review of important grammatical features
Students can opt to select another Spanish course from the summer offerings.